Integrated Weed Management (IWM) in Rice
The IWM package developed, recommended, demonstrated and implemented by the farmers included
- High yielding high zinc medium duration variety DRRDhan 45.
- Adoption of recommended seed rate of 30kg/ha.
- Drum seeding under puddle condition/ transplanting.
- Pre-sowing herbicide application of Glyphophate @2.5 to 5 l/ha in the main field 15 days before field preparation for drum seeder sowing.Application of penoxsulam+cyhalotofop butyl @2.5 l/ha.at tillering stage to control second flush of broadspectrum weed flora
- Application of pyrozosulfuron ethyl @ 200gm/ha within 3 days of sowing.Application of penoxsulam+cyhalotofop butyl @2.5 l/ha.at tillering stage to control second flush of broadspectrum weed flora.
- Top dressing nitrogen only after weeding operation.
- Need based application of plant protection chemicals
Need – Due to labor scarcity, high labor wages and non availability at the critical stages
Existing practices- Majority of the rice farmers practice manual hand weeding
Potential losses : Expenditure on manual hand weeding is nearly double the expenditure on IWM Areas: In majority of the rice growing areas in Telangana and Andhrapradesh
Demonstration yields and incomes
- by reduced cost of cultivation with Opportunity costs with better weed management
- by way of increasing income by improving productivity
- Table 4: IWM in Farmers field Demonstration for increasing income
|Location||Expenditure||Yield t/ha||Additional Benefit (Rs/ha)|
|IWM||Farmers Practice||IWM||Farmers Practice|
|Puppalaguda Rangareddy Dist, Telangana State.||4,342||8,975||6.96||6.13||14,834|
|Nagapur & Rajanpet, Medak Dist. Telangana State.||5,837||10,875||6.68||6.10||12,563|
|Amrad, Madanpalle Thanda & Banapoor, Nizamabad Dist. Telangana State.||6,600||11,575||6.82||5.98||16,396|
- Demonstrations were successful and other rice farmers in the Demo villages are asking for provision of technology and inputs.
- Progressive rice farmers are practicing IWM successfully
- The farmers who understood the benefits of the technology are not going back to manual hand weeding.