DRR Dhan 49 – High Zinc and high yielding rice variety
DRR Dhan 49 is a high yielding variety with high Zinc content. This variety was developed from the cross RP Bio226*1/CSR27 following backcross and pedigree selection breeding method. This variety contains very high Zinc content of 25.2 ppm which is higher than checks like Kalanamak and Chittimuthyalu. It also recorded superior grain yield than national check IR 64. In addition to superior grain yield and high Zinc, it also possesses strong culm there by having tolerance to lodging. It contains erect and wide flag leaf which improves it photosynthetic ability. It is also having the desirable grain type of Medium slender which is mostly accepted and consumed in the states of Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamilnadu.
In the past 40 years, agricultural research for developing countries has focused on increased cereal production. Recently, there has been a shift: Agriculture must now not only produce more calories to reduce hunger, but also more nutrient-rich food to reduce hidden hunger. One in three people in the world suffer from hidden hunger, caused by a lack of minerals (Iron and Zinc) and vitamins in their diets, which leads to negative health consequences. Biofortification provides a feasible means of reaching malnourished rural populations who may have limited access to diverse diets, supplements, and commercially fortified foods. To achieve nutritional security, DRR Dhan 49, a high yielding, high Zn rice variety (Zn content 25 ppm) was developed by crossing RP Bio226 with CSR27.
Multilocation testing through AICRIP
- In AICRIP testing for three years (2014-2016), DRR Dhan 49 showed high Zinc content of 25.2ppm which was higher than IR 64 (16.9ppm), BPT 5204 (16.9ppm), Kalanamak (18.7ppm) and Chittumuthyalu (23ppm).
- During 2015 and 2016 under AICRIP, the variety recorded superior grain yield than national check IR 64 (4%), Kalanamak (55%) and Chittumuthyalu (22%).
- It was found promising for the states of Kerala, Maharashtra and Gujarat with three years of testing under AICRIP
- It is also having the desirable grain type of Medium slender which is mostly accepted and consumed in the states of Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
- The entry has shown resistance to Bacterial leaf blight disease, moderately tolerant to RTD, Sheath rot, neck blast and brown spot.
Practical Utility/ Scalability
- Rice is a staple food in India and if we use biofortified rice variety like DRR Dhan 49 with high Zinc content, it will reach the poor, under nourished segment of the society. It will be very useful for pregnant women and children to overcome malnutrition.
- Since it is high yielding and having Medium slender grain type, tolerant to lodging, it is easily acceptable by farmers of Southern states Telangana, Andhra pradesh, Karnataka and Tamilnadu.
- If this variety is multiplied in large scale and final polished rice is distributed through Public distribution system, it will reach the poor and malnourished people easily.
- If tag of High Zinc content is added to the label, the finished product will have higher price in supermarkets, hence farmers income will also increase.